AE4502: Supersonic and Hypersonic Flows - NPS Online
Supersonic and Hypersonic Flows
Est.imated Completion Time: 3 months
POC: NPS Online Support
One-dimensional, compressible flow is reviewed. Two-dimensional and axis-symmetric supersonic flow of ideal gases. Oblique shocks and expansion waves. General compressible flow equations including Fanno and Rayleigh flow analysis. Potential supersonic and conical flows. Compressible scaling and transonic area ruling. Effects of very high velocity and low density. Hypersonic flow. Mach number independence and equivalence principles. Newtonian method. Blunt and slender body solutions. Real gas behavior and effect on shock and boundary layers. Applications are presented to satellite parasitic drag and re-entry flows.
Included in degrees & certificates
1. Describe the thermodynamics of 1-D, 2-D, and axis-symmetric compressible flow.
2. Calculate single and multiple-shock thermodynamic jump conditions.
3. Evaluate the effects of area-ruling and transonic flow
4. Apply Newtonian and modified-Newtonian theory to hypersonic problems
5. Demonstrate application of real-gas properties at hypersonic conditions.
6. Calculate the effects of boundary layer in compressible and hypersonic flow.
06 Jun 2023
Spring quarter pre-graduation awards ceremony
09 Jun 2023
Spring quarter last day of classes
13 Jun 2023
Spring quarter final examinations begin