SE3201: Engineering Systems Conceptualization - NPS Online
Engineering Systems Conceptualization
Est.imated Completion Time: 3 months
POC: NPS Online Support
Engineering of systems in the Enterprise, Societal and Environmental Context presents a view of how system development moves through four metaphases, Conceiving, Designing, Implementing, and Operating. The chosen terms are descriptive of activities that address hardware, software, and human integration, for product and process industries. Conceptualization begins with consideration of stakeholder capability, market, or opportunity need though early stage or conceptual design, and includes systems thinking and project management. This course on system conceptualization is the first in a series of three consecutive project courses that augments the core education for all resident students enrolled in the NPS Department of Systems Engineering's Master of Science in Systems Engineering curriculum. It is intended to provide authentic, hands-on engineering experience within which to apply learning from the core sequence of systems engineering courses. Specifically, this course provides the opportunity to use the language, terminology, concepts, methods, and tools to develop the competency to be a systems engineer.
Included in degrees & certificates
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create a conceptual product or service design, execute related project activities, and capture conceptualization knowledge for a prototype system including: Understand needs, Define requirements, Analyze functions, Generate and analyze concepts, Select best concept design.
- Apply a Systems Thinking approach to conceptualize a system by using a systems approach to problem solving, using the elements of thought, and applying the standards of thought.
- Conduct project management activities and articulate an overall project plan of actions and milestones (POA&M) in the form of a written plan and a phased Gantt Chart, or similar graphical method.
- Update and analyze the project plan during the design conceptualization phase in the form of regularly updated POA&M.
- Conduct work as part of a team using appropriate systems engineering methods for team management and operations.
- Document design conceptualization activities and processes in written and oral form, as an engineering notebook, interim project report, and interim project reviews.
29 May 2023
06 Jun 2023
Spring quarter pre-graduation awards ceremony
09 Jun 2023
Spring quarter last day of classes