SE3202: Engineering Systems Design - NPS Online
Engineering of systems in the Enterprise, Societal and Environmental Context presents a view of how system development moves through four metaphases, Conceiving, Designing, Implementing, and Operating. The chosen terms are descriptive of activities that address hardware, software, and human integration, for defense-related products and processes. Designing includes the design process, including phases and approaches, utilization of knowledge, designing for "X" (sustainability, reliability, manufacturability, etc), disciplinary, and multidisciplinary design. This course on system design is the second in a series of three consecutive project courses that augments the core education for all resident students enrolled in the NPS Department of Systems Engineering's Master of Science in Systems Engineering curriculum. It is intended to provide an authentic engineering experience within which to apply learning from the core sequence of systems engineering courses. Specifically, this course provides you the language, terminology, concepts, methods, and tools to develop the competency to be a systems engineer.
Included in degrees & certificates
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply system development processes through four metaphases including: Conceiving, Designing, Implementing, and Operating.
- Demonstrate mastery of systems engineering processes with activities that may include hardware, software, and human integration, for defense-related products and processes.
- Apply system design processes to a project including phases and approaches, utilization of knowledge, designing for "X" (sustainability, reliability, manufacturability, etc.), disciplinary, and multidisciplinary design.
- Update and analyze a project plan initially developed during the design conceptualization phase in the form of regularly updated project plan of actions and milestones (POA&M).
- Conduct work as part of a team using appropriate systems engineering methods for team management and operations.
- Document design conceptualization activities and processes in written and oral form, as an engineering notebook, interim project report, and interim project reviews.
08 Jan 2024
Spring Quarter applications due
01 Apr 2024
Summer Quarter applications due
08 Jul 2024
Fall Quarter applications due