273: Space Systems Fundamentals Certificate - NPS Online
Space Systems Fundamentals Certificate
Est.imated Completion Time: 12 months
Starts: Fall, Spring
Subspecialty Code: 6206L
Program Area: Space Technology and Operations
POC: Program Director
Modality: Distance Learning
The Space Systems Certificate program is comprised of four courses. Upon successful completion of the course work, students will be awarded a certificate of completion in keeping with standard practices of the Naval Postgraduate School as well as the 6206L subspecialty code. The Space Systems Certificate program supports Navy and DoD space educational needs and complements existing resident training by providing cross-disciplinary science and technical education. The Space Systems Certificate program is targeted primarily at enhancing the education and preparation for USN Space Cadre personnel. The Navy's Space Cadre represents a distinct body of expertise horizontally integrated within the Navy active duty, reserves, both officer and enlisted, and civilian employee communities organized to operationalize space.
Entry to the Space Cadre is met, in part, by completion of a Space PQS. The courses included in the certificate are designed to give a prospective Space Cadre member the knowledge required to meet the requirements of many portions of the PQS.
Completion of the Certificate will count toward satisfaction of the Information Professional Advanced Qualification Certification matrix (COMNAVCYBERFORINST 1520.1).
The original course and academic content for the SSC was vetted and approved by USN space and space training leaders.
US Citizens only
The following are eligible for this offering:
- Naval Officers
- Naval Enlisted
- Non-Naval Officers
- Non-Naval Enlisted
- DON Civilians
- DOD Civilians
- Defense Contractors
- Non-DOD Federal Employees
- Baccalaureate degree with completion of college level algebra, geometry, trigonometry, logarithms, and physics (including electricity and magnetism)
Upon completion of the Space Systems Fundamentals Certificate students should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the Space Environment in which DOD satellites operate, including Remote Sensing, Space Environment, orbitology, satellite communications and satellite subsystems
- be able to advocate for USN/DoD interests in significant National Space Security Organizations
- be able to drive participation in joint processes for space systems architecture and requirements development
- be able to prioritize the resources necessary to formulate and defend operational requirements for space
- understand the major satellite systems used in ISR, PNT and communication
Navy students will:
- Gain knowledge required in corresponding fundamentals section of Space Cadre PQS
- Upon completion of the certificate, be awarded the 6206-L subspecialty code
Applications are handled by the NPS Admissions Office. Please visit the admissions website or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition & Service Obligation
For specific tuition information for this offering, please visit this offering’s More Information page.
For information regarding service obligation, please visit the Admissions Office’s Eligibility/Service Obligation page.
Contributes towards an MS in Space Systems Operations. Requirements for the certificate in Space Systems are met by successful completion of all four courses. Certificate credit is obtained by maintenance of a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
29 May 2023
06 Jun 2023
Spring quarter pre-graduation awards ceremony
09 Jun 2023
Spring quarter last day of classes