133: Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) Design and Development Certificate - NPS Online
The Department of Systems Engineering offers a four-course academic certificate in Model-Based Systems Engineering Design and Development that enables students to apply systems engineering in defense acquisition and system lifecycle support. MBSE is an increasingly important domain in systems engineering, especially with the introduction of digital engineering initiatives. It requires the skills necessary to create, analyze and execute models and to formally apply them throughout system development from requirements to validation. MBSE requires mastery of modeling languages, methods and tools. This program is targeted for mid- and upper-level engineers working in or in support of the Defense Acquisition System but has great benefit for all who seek further knowledge in the theory and practice of systems engineering.
|Quarter 4||Choose one of the following:
The following are eligible for this offering:
- Naval Officers
- Naval Enlisted
- Non-Naval Officers
- Non-Naval Enlisted
- DON Civilians
- DOD Civilians
- Defense Contractors
- Non-DOD Federal Employees
- International military personnel
- International non-military personnel
Requirements for Entry
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, math or basic science with minimum 2.6 grade point average
- At least one college calculus course
- Successful completion of System Engineering Fundamentals Certificate (282)
- Create system architectures that are responsive to capability needs using model-based systems engineering (MBSE) methods.
- Create architectures for balanced system solutions, applying design heuristics and divergent thinking using multiple languages, methods, and tools.
- Evaluate an architecture’s feasibility through simulation, conduct trades, compare alternatives, and justify recommendations with appropriate analysis.
- Develop the cognitive structures to carry out integration and development, account for the impacts of emergence including system suitability, and apply appropriate tools to systems and
- system of systems integration.
- Evaluate MBSE compliant designs in specialized application areas, such as simulation for acquisition or software systems.
- Understand software in the context of systems engineering, the distinction between live, virtual, and constructive simulations, and discrete event, agent based, and systems dynamics simulations.
- Apply MBSE to enhance the overall benefits of systems engineering. Select and tailor or create a set of methods, tools, and techniques for decision support, operational effectiveness modeling, dashboard design, and trade space analysis.
Tuition & Service Obligation
For information regarding service obligation, please visit the Admissions Office’s Eligibility/Service Obligation page.
Open Enrollment - Model-Based Systems Engineering Design and Development Certificate
Commencing Wednesday, 3 April 2024
The Naval Postgraduate School’s (NPS) Department of Systems Engineering is pleased to announce the offering of a four course Model-Based System Engineering Design and Development Certificate commencing Wednesday, 3 April 2024. The program is open to all qualified uniformed officers, federal civilians, defense contractors and internationals.
08 Jan 2024
Spring Quarter applications due
01 Apr 2024
Summer Quarter applications due
08 Jul 2024
Fall Quarter applications due